9.11.2009

7. Reflection

Today being September 11th, I felt it was important to speak on my thoughts of this day.


It seemed like so long ago when the tragedy occurred in three different parts of the United States where the lives of so many innocent people were taken, but that does not mean that we can forget and fail to continue to learn from such a major occurrence.

When tragedies of this magnitude occur, there are many lessons to be learned. Not only those of safety and precaution, but those that influence our everyday lives and how we live each day. I find that many times human beings fail to realize that tomorrow is not promised, nor is the next hour, minute, or second. Everything that you cherish, appreciate, and deem worthy can be taken from you in a single moment, and there is nothing you can do to stop that from being a reality.

As I walk around campus, around the mall, anywhere.. I always see more acts of selfishness or anger than I see of acts of kindness and happiness. Why is it that the human race has become so ruthless and unconcerned for one another? It takes less energy to be polite and kind than it does to be rude and standoffish, so why do people go to great lengths to be so mean? Realistically, I know and understand you cannot always put others before yourself and you are not obliged to always be nice. However, I feel that if everyone treated at least one person a day kinder than what they do now that the world would be a lot different. I think it would be better. You never know when your one, simple act of kindness was just was someone needed to get through their day. A simple act of kindness could be a smile. It's that simple.

Also, people fail to let the people that they care about know how they really feel about them. Tell your family, friends, and relatives how you feel about them. If you love them, let them know. You could loose them tomorrow and never have the chance to let them know how you really felt. Last year, Mr. Grey, an advisor in the School of Business passed away unexpectedly...:

I remember Mr. Grey always being there for me, always helping me when I needed an extra push... and he always begged for me to come see him and just talk about life and I would always reply with "Next week Mr. Grey! Next week!" But of course, next week was always the next week, followed by the next. And after so long of being wrapped up in my own problems and life, which is understandable -- everyone has things to do -- I never made it to his office to let him know that he was the only person that I felt really cared about me in that office. (And Howardites know, if you go to school here, chances are you are just another sheet of paper when it comes to faculty caring about your well-being...)

Incidents like that, and I have had several, have shown me that you cannot put your feelings on the back-burner. I am so prone to putting things off but time is of the essence. We only have one life to live, so the time is now.

I urge everyone of you to reflect on your life and how people view you...

If you were gone tomorrow, would someone remember you for the good you did, or the bad?

If you were gone tomorrow, would your family know how much you appreciate them? Would you friends know much you really love them?

If you were gone tomorrow, would the acquaintance of yours know how much they impacted your life even though you all barely spoke?

If you were gone tomorrow...




--C.LO <3

No comments:

Post a Comment